Tuesday, November 12, 2013

DIY - I'm No Canning Genius, But I Have Some Tips





Oh how I love my canning jars. I am pretty sure they are one of my most prized possessions. I love to can and I can whenever I can. <---try to say that 10 times fast. I know I will never be able to have a pantry full enough to never go to the grocery center aisles every again (until my kids move out), but I sure do try. I am not the perfect canning woman, but I do have some lessons that I have learned over the last two years.





Use guidance and recipes from a reputable source. This is very important because the PH level, spacing, and processing time is important. There are plenty of people that experiment with canning and if you want to be one of those people, then great. Just make sure you are following some kind of scientific guidelines. Always process for the longest time based on what is in your pot. If one item calls for 20 minutes and another 30, go with 30 for all.
Always pressure can meat, beans, and other non-acidic food! Water bath canning is great for things like tomatoes and other fruit with a high acid level or where you can bring the PH to where it needs to be with lemon or vinegar.
Always make sure your cans are covered by an inch of water if water bath canning. This ensures that all the bacteria and other buggies all killed up and over the top of the jar. I have failed at this once and never will again. My jar ended up getting mold in it and almost burst in my cabinet.
Never store your jars, filled or empty, with the rings on. When they are filled and may not have processed right they can reseal if the ring is on and then you will get all kinds of microscopic buggies in there and never know until you get sick. When they are empty mine seem to always end up rusted or something. I guess the rings just like air circulation. If you give a jar as a gift, let the receiver know this information unless you think they will pop it open right away. I do keep rings on my jars in the fridge so my lids do not come off, but they do not get stored in there long. I use to also re-lid my jars after I cleaned them and the jars always seemed to stink if they sat in the cabinet empty and lidded for a while.
Check your jars for sugar if you are canning sweet things. I have blown 4 or 5 jars and only when I am making jam or jelly. I think it is because I missed some sugar on the outside of the jar. It is also important to wipe down the top of the jar to ensure it seals properly. Speaking of sealing properly, make sure the jars seal before storing. There should be no give to the lid when it is pressed down on. One last thing on sugary things, always use a bigger pot than you thing you need when cooking. It ALWAYS boils over twice its size.
Use a rack in the pot. If you do not have a rack or plate (it comes with most pressure canners) then use rings. Just line the bottom of the pan and set your jars on there. I think it helps with the circulation in the pot. Its also important to make sure your jars cannot tip during the processing, so just add extra empty, water filled, non-lidded jars.
If you are going to can with a group of people, make sure you trust them. I have canned with large groups before and someone always seems to come up short with either lids, rings, jars, pots, burners, propane tanks, money etc. There are always rumors flying around about who the culprit is, but it is hard to know who the dishonest person is.
This brings me to the importance of using good canning jars. First, you have to use canning jars to can. You just cannot trust mayonnaise or pasta jars etc. Second, unless you want to waste space in your canning pot, do not buy the cheap non-specific brand canning jars. Why? Well if you look at the Ball/Kerr Jars you will notice they are not round. This ensures the most amount of jars to be placed in a pot. I have never bought cheap jars, but from my group canning experience I always seem to end up with them at home. People get mad if you complain because they will argue all jars are the same. Notice in the picture it looks like I should be able to fit another jar, but alas I have used too many round jars and cannot. If I had all Ball/Kerr jars it would fit and be snug as a bug.
Last thing, use those jars. They can be used for so much more than canning. I keep old lids and use them with the jars to store yogurt, almond milk, dried goods, granola, butter (my daughter makes butter in a jar), or sprout seeds in them, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment