Thursday, September 20, 2012

Welfare vs. Veteran's Assistance, Tax Credits, and Student Programs

Disclaimer! This is my opinion and no way reflects the opinion of anyone else or any other organization. If you do not like my opinion, that is okay. If you chose to comment about my opinion, I just ask that you be respectful.

I am finding out very quickly that politics really boils my blood sometimes. Especially when people skew information to get what they want. I am now finding that people trying to help their political party are lumping welfare into the same group as veterans programs. This is not the same thing. I believe they are doing this to possibly say, "if we have to get rid of welfare, then we have to get rid of all these other public assistance programs to be fair."

http://boingboing.net/2011/07/08/half-of-us-social-pr.html
 So let us look at these "social programs" listed above. At least the ones I am familiar with.

We will start with Food Stamps. Back in 2008, about 5 months after I separated from the Air Force and 3 months after I stopped receiving child support, I applied for Food Stamps. I only needed the assistance for a few months until I was enrolled in school and using my G.I. Bill (a future topic in this blog post). This is what I was told. 1. I qualified based on our household income 2. I had to sell both of our vehicles 3. I had to cash in my Roth IRA. What!? I need food stamps for 3 months I have to have no way to get to school, no way for my husband to get to work, and take a huge penalty on my measly little IRA. Needless to say I thought this was insane and would just lead my family to remain on food stamps. I did not want to be dependent on welfare and food stamps.

I made due and we ate crap for a few months until I got on WIC, which is another food program. This program provides specific food items to supplement your groceries. You only receive it until your child is 5 years old. So, this is a temporary program unless you keep popping out kids. I remained on WIC for about a year until I felt that I could afford my groceries without it.

Next, I want to discuss the tax credits. These credits pretty much require you to have a job, so they are incentives to work. I like that! If you are a productive citizen we will help you pay for your childcare, schooling, or mortgage interest. Earned income helps supplement income for those who work and do not bring in much money. I have received all of these accept the mortgage interest.

Now, lets talk about college assistance. First, we have student loans. This is not free money. This is a loan. You have to pay it back. You have to attend school to receive it. Next, we have pell grants. This is not free money. You have to attend school to receive it. You are "working" on a degree. Last, we have the G.I. Bill. This is not free money. You have to have served honorably in the military for at least 4 years. You have to pay into it. You have to attend school FULL time to receive FULL benefits. I have received pell grant funds and I am almost done with my G.I. Bill, you only get 3 years.

Last, I will discuss veterans benefits. These are also not free. You have to be a veteran, first off. You had to have served the military honorably. Most veterans receiving benefits sacrificed their health and body serving the good ol' U.S. of A. Family members that receive benefits usually get these benefits because they are dependents of some who sacrificed their life. I am a veteran. I applied and was denied (it is a part of the separation process). It does not hurt my feelings because I know there are others who deserve these benefits more than myself.

The rest of the programs listed above I have no idea about. I just really want to know how people can seriously compare welfare to veterans programs or student programs, or tax credits. There is no comparison. Welfare does not require anyone to earn anything. It only requires you to be content with not earning anything. The other programs require people to work for them in one way or another.







No comments:

Post a Comment