Friday, August 30, 2013

DIY - Painted Knife Block

So, I have been really bummed lately because I have only bits and pieces that I need to do some projects and I am unable to get the rest at the moment. Last night I decided to stop having a pity party and find something to do that would make my house more beautiful. I decided to paint my knife block. I had everything, yippee!!! Maybe you do to :D

I sanded my knife block down with whatever sandpaper I had lying around. I made sure to get the name off the front. I probably should have wiped it down after, but I did not. I ended up with a little more texture than I planned from the bits of wood.
 Next, I used my acrylic paints. I chose two colors and kind of did a wash. I made the bottom color saturated, but the top color I added a bit of water to and was not too concerned with even coverage. I let it dry over night.
 I had absolutely no real creative spark, so I just blocked off a bit in the front and a bit in the back and painted it red. I did two coats to make sure it looked "red." Chevrons probably would have been cute and hip, but I was not in a measuring mood. I let it dry again for about an hour.
 Last, I painted the word "Knives" and even made sure I spelled it right by checking with my 14 year old. I used a mix of brown, yellow and white. Do not be afraid to mix paints. You might surprise yourself with an awesome color. 
Here it is in all its glory on my counter. I am sure there are more creative ways of decorating a knife block, but I am very proud of the work I did. It was quick and rewarding; just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment