Sunday, July 8, 2012

Canning Chicken Soup

I have found a new love....CANNING! As if I need more things to put on my plate...I figure I can tell myself that it saves my family money and allows us to eat healthier. Yeah, that is how I justify this new obsession.

I tried my luck at canning chicken soup since my children have been asking for it forever. It is hard for us to find any soup that is without MSG and Gluten, so we have to avoided it. Not anymore!




The first night (since I have to break my projects up into pieces to be able to manage them) I made chicken stock out of a chicken, celery, onion and some seasoning....how ever you like to make stock is fine.







Tonight I made the soup. You can use whatever recipe you like, but I used the one out of the Ball Blue Book. I had to use some extra stock I had in the freezer to supplement what I made last night. I used the chicken that I had left from making the stock also. I added some celery and carrots. I did not have to add seasoning because I seasoned my stock.





After cooking the soup for 30 minutes I prepared the jars and got to canning. I filled each jar a little under half full with the goodies (meat, carrots, and celery) and then filled it up the rest of the way with the stock to 1 inch from the top of the jar. I am pressure canning the jars as I type for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I am so excited to have chicken soup at the ready that is healthy for my family.


3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea and I need to follow suit! How many jars of soup did you end up with? I love making soup but managing the leftovers (i.e. appropriately cooling the stock so it doesn't go bad) has always been an issue. This would do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes 4 quarts or 8 pints according to the directions. I used some half pints and pints, but it all equaled out. I even had some stock left over and I canned that too.

    ReplyDelete