Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sewing Challenge - Day 7

 I finished my sewing project in one week! Woo Hoo! I am so excited.

One of my challenges that I have been working to overcome is casings and hems. Using a template to iron my hems has drastically helped and today I discovered this little "duh" moment. I turned my garment inside out to "measure" where it should be placed to get my stitch as close to the edge of the casing as possible. Then I turn my garment right side out and line it up and sew. Genius! I only hit a slight snag when I veered a little to the left, but it was fixable.


I also used the time honored trick my Grandma Jean showed me. She was not able to teach me how to sew due to her arthritis, but she did teach me how to run something through a casing (usually a string through some sweat pants). I use a safety pin to attach one end of the elastic to the garment at the entrance. I use another safety pin to help me slide the elastic through. Scrunching a little bit over the safety pin at a time and then pulling a little to move it along.


 I finished the shorts first. So much different than I am used to. I usually make Charlie bloomers for all her dresses. I think they turned out cute, but I am worried they will swallow her skinny legs. I have to keep in mind that this is a size 4 pattern also. We shall see when I can convince her to try these on.

Lastly I added the button holes and buttons to the dress/shirt. You can barely see the buttons because I used cute little pink circles.

I love this fabric so much. I found it on sale last Black Friday in the quilting section. I have two more sets of fabric picked out for this pattern (also found in the quilting section). When I get those done I will share them also.

No comments:

Post a Comment