Monday, July 9, 2012

Sewing Challenge - Day 1

I have challenged myself this week to complete an entire sewing project in 7 days.

Today, I spent about an hour cutting out my pattern, ironing it, tracing it, and cutting it out again. I also washed and dried my fabric. The reason I trace my pattern is because I like to use my patterns more than once and for many sizes. There are other ways of reusing patterns, this is just what works for me.
Let me explain.
 
I cut out the pattern that I bought from the sewing store. These patterns are really wrinkled, so I ironed it to make sure I do not missing anything when I trace my pattern. I made sure that my iron was on a low setting. I also ironed the tracing paper I chose to use. I think what I use is actually interfacing, but it was on sale, see through and a decent weight.







 





I then put my pattern pieces on the tracing paper, upside down. I pined them very well to make sure they did not move while I traced them. I also made sure that my pins were not close to any lines I need to trace.
















Then I turned the tracing paper over and started tracing. I had plenty of light to help me see through the paper. I also looked under at the pattern to help me identify important things I needed to mark like where button holes go. I did not trace everything. Only what I needed for the size I was doing.



After I traced all of my pieces, I unpinned the original pattern and cut out the new pattern. This is how it looked when I was done.


A big thanks to my daughter Kairah for taking the pictures today. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment