Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Fort Hood - Doin' it Big Too

When we visit my in laws we are near the largest Army base in the United States. When I say this place is big, I mean BIG! If you wanted to, you could never leave the base and be perfectly content. This base houses not only people and units, but also 2 commissaries (grocery stores), 2 Exchanges (mini shopping malls), numerous fast food places, a theater that plays semi-new movies, a skating rink, a Chili's, 6 pools, many obstacle courses, 4 gyms and many other things. My favorite observation about this installation was the fact that they do not waste money on things that do not need to be replaced or do not enhance military capability or family happiness. In pass and ID I noticed that their phones were old brown one line phones. They had a mailbox system that was bowing and taped many times to keep it serviceable. That impressed me! Who needs a 6 line, electronic phone that is expensive and breaks? If you do not get through, call back lol :D In all seriousness, I think Fort Hood is an awesome installation with professional, awesome soldiers, families, and employees.
It was no surprise to me that this installation was going to have an amazing fireworks display....and they certainly did!

 Most people went to the Stadium to watch the show and so did we. Others were set up in other places like parking lots and grassy areas off the highway. We found seats about an hour before the show. There was plenty of room in the stands and on the field.
 It was a beautiful night. They had a band of what I am assuming was made up of Soldiers. The band members and soldiers working the event wore their uniform pants and boots, but had on event shirts. Everyone was in good spirits, even the families that you knew were without their soldier due to deployment. There was one restless little girl behind me, but a few sweet words from a stranger (me) put her and her parents at ease.
 The display was wonderful. The music beautifully patriotic. I loved every minute of it. I teared up throughout thinking about all the times my dad took me to see fireworks. I'm not saying that no one else ever took me, but the only memories I have of fireworks as a kid was with my dad.
Normally I would be paying attention to taking pictures or staring at my kids reaction, but this time I paid more attention to the display and reminiscing. It lasted a little longer than an hour and it is a 4th of July I will never forget!























No comments:

Post a Comment