Thursday, May 16, 2013

April Showers bring May Flowers...and lots of weeds.


 It has been absolutely beautiful here in Northwest Florida. I am so glad that it has not been blazing hot and nasty humid yet because it has given me the motivation to work in my garden now that I am home in the evening. My yard is a hot mess, but I am trying to at least keep up with my garden so we can have some produce from it this summer and fall. Here is an update on my mini-"farm".


 This week I have been working on figuring out which of the plants in my plot are weeds or actual plants I want to keep (this is what happens when you neglect your garden). While pulling out what I think are weeds, I am mulching the bed and the walkway next to it, little by little. Every little bit counts, right? Charlie was so kind as to plant some seeds for me yesterday. We are not an organized gardening family, so since we did not mark anything, we will get little surprises when things start to grow and produce. 
 I was happy to discover some of my plants reseeded themselves last year and I have a lovely little dill plant growing near some corn. I hope they will be happy living next to each other.
 My butterfly garden is looking a little sad. I expect it to make a full recovery this summer and bring lots of joy to visiting butterflies and bees. Hopefully those happy bees and butterflies pollinate my veg-garden.
 Kairah has been working in her plot also. I am so proud of her. She came outside at the beginning of March and said "Mom, this is my garden. I will take care of it." She is a little nervous working on it alone, but when I come outside she usually follows about 10 minutes later. 
She did lots of weeding yesterday. Those weeds really love to live next to the pineapple plants.

  My neighbor has been gardening (it seems more so since I moved in. Her husband even built her some elaborate garden area in March). She brought us these awesome green onions today. I think this summer we will be sharing a lot more produce. 
Oh, another plus to the great weather....IT'S CLOTHES LINE TIME! My kids are not too happy about it, but I am. It seems to be my favorite time of day. I get up earlier, put a load in, go for a walk, get ready, and then...its outside time with the birds and the wash. I love it! Then when I get home, I get to go outside again and listen to the birds, feel the breeze (when its hot as h311 in the house) and take down my line dried clothes. I seriously do love it! P.S. Please don't just my yard, its a work in progress :D

No comments:

Post a Comment