Monday, May 27, 2013

My Garden Heroes

 I think my wonderful husband and daughter might have saved my veggie garden this weekend. We had other plans for upgrades to the house, but my garden was in a sad state and if we did not do anything about it, then it would be lost for the season. 

 It is getting way to hot here to go without monitoring your yard and garden. All week Kairah and I have been checking in with our plants and trying to figure out why they were producing fruit too early and remaining so small. After some research I think it is because they are not getting enough water. I already had the 1/4 inch drip tubing, but for the last year we have struggled with keeping it working properly. We decided that while we were at our local home store getting paint we would look for something better. We decided on 1/2 inch tubing with some cool little drip attachments. 
 We already had what we needed to attach the line to the underground sprinkler system. This was a pain in the rear when we set it up with the 1/4 inch, but was a simple fix for the 1/2 inch since it was already set up.
 Laying out the line was a little more challenging. It kept lifting up. The mulch was in the way. The stakes (so expensive) were not staying. The staples (cheaper) were a little more cooperative. 
After using the hole making tool, we added the drip attachments. If we did not add these the water just sprayed up in the air. This is definitely an improvement over the little tiny drips my garden was getting. If this works out well, we will do a DIY on it when we tackle the front flower bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment