Friday, May 17, 2013

My Summer Job

It is looking as if the universe has a different plan for me than I thought. After I graduated with my Bachelor's degree, I thought my dream job a good job a decent job would appear. And maybe it did; it just won't be paying me in cold hard cash. My new summer job is as a Stay At Home Mom. 


Me and my dad, way back when...
When I was a child all I wanted to be when I grew up was a mom. Well, I got that wish times 4 and I love my girls more than anything. While I was in the Air Force, they had to share me with the mission. While I was a student, they had to share me with my studies. Now, that is all behind me and it is looking like they will not have to share me with a career any time soon. I am starting to be okay with that. Will it be tough on the bank account? Yes! But we will survive.
Just to be clear, I know there are jobs out there. These jobs are not for me. I have standards, that at this point in my life, I can set. If there ever comes a day when I need the moo-lah that bad, I will go work some crazy shift somewhere for pennies.

With that being said, I am now figuring out what I am going to do with my time during the summer. I am not one for being bored. I actually hate it! It is one of those traits I have that can either make me a better person or drown me.
After Basic Training graduation Circa 1996
I remember when I was a young airman doing those annoying, boring, repetitive tasks. I was considered to be a slacker and was not liked very much. I was not a successful airman by any means. A wonderful supervisor realized that I am not one of those people that can do brainless tasks. He started giving me challenges and boy did I start enjoying my job. I still got in trouble from time to time (thanks to my big fat mouth), but I was appreciated more than ever for my "talents" by most people.

This brings me to my dreaded summer of sitting around doing nothing. I do not wish to clean my house over and over, every day, all day. I want to find challenges and succeed. Here are some of my ideas:
- Finish demolition of the bathroom shower
- Clean up mold in bathroom and bedroom
- Paint the all the main living spaces (this color)
- Cultivate a wonderful vegetable garden
- Perfect my soap recipe (and maybe sell it)
- Sew every piece of fabric in my art closet (and maybe sell my projects)
- Cut off the kitchen counter overhang
To the left is the crazy kitchen counter that hangs over the cabinet by at least a foot. 
That looks like a good list. Of course I will be a beach bum and try to get my kids involved in as much as possible.

What are your summer plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment